Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Worms of death

Have you ever read a Nicolas D. Kristof column? Usually (at least for me), it's pretty depressing stuff: genocide, hunger, suffering. And the one I last read, 'Torture By Worms' is right up there.
But however much other people's pain makes you cringe, or however much it doesn't, you cannot escape the fact that what he writes isn't some stuff out of a Stephen King novel. Sadly, it does actually happen to be reality.
Well, that particular column describes what must be one of the most horrible things I can imagine. Guinea worms, parasites that find their way inside you, before finding their way out again, are probably something you wouldn't want to find within a hundred miles of you. In fact, the sight of this torturous affliction moved Jimmy Carter to tears according to Kristof.
Even more sadly, something which I use and sometimes ignore on a daily or hourly basis, clean water, is what one needs to have in order to avoid the disease (the worm is spread in contaminated water according to Wikipedia).
I just like to say that I don't think anyone should have to go through that. Ever.