Monday, August 28, 2006

Cricket

Well, what can I say? 'Cept that I don't like cricket .... I love it-er! Well, I did. Or I do. I'm not sure now. I love the wickets and the teamwork and the applause and all. But sometimes when I play, or rather, every time I play, the dream ends up horribly wrecked - smashed up into pieces, or, ironically, hit for 6.

Why? Well, being a bit - okay, quite a bit - unskilled in all 3 disciplines doesn't help that much. Being a bit of a sprinter, I can run to field balls now and then, but even that goes a bit wrong cos I can't return the ball with power. i.e, my throwing is weaker than a baby's (but then again, they can throw rattles with the strength of an adult shot-putter, so the comparison is a bit distorted).

Bowling - well, I'd like a few chances to do so, but then again, I feel I could muck up the entire course of the match with a 6-ball run fest. And there are a few champion bowlers in this side, believe me. Real skill.

That leaves batting. Well, the less said the better. Maybe it's my bat, which I love for it's sweet touch, and light weight. But maybe I have to grow a couple of inches more to really use it. But that's just beside the point. I can't strike the ball hard enough, or move my feet quickly enough. Highest score of ... 6 ( though it should have been seven had the fielding side been honest about a boundary). I don't get onto the front foot fast enough, or rather, I just keep my feet wide enough to be in a sort of ambiguous forward/backward stance. And worse, I just ... block. That's all. No aggresion or imagination.

Well, worse than the feeling you get from continual underacheivement, is the feeling that you don't fit into the team, or that you aren't helping them at all. And basically, I guess I feel this most of the time. So, it's not very easy to keep things in focus.